The Telegraph: Monetizing Mobile Through Measurement
We would not have invented our iPad nighttime reading mode without the data gained from Webtrends Analytics.Mark Challinor
Director of Mobile & Interactive Services UK Telegraph Media Group
In an effort to align with rapidly changing reader expectations in the new digital world, newspapers are reinventing themselves for mobile users. But rather than dive into this digital channel with a trial-and-error mobile app for the iPad, the UK-based Telegraph Media Group first sought to understand subscribers’ reading behaviors and how they differ from print and online, using metrics to guide their decision making. By understanding customer usage, the Telegraph can also determine how advertising best fits within this new reader model.
- Offer more options to current readers while reaching new customers, including younger readers used to consuming content on mobile devices.
- Continue to enhance the reader experience.
- How to best monetize the mobile channel and drive new advertising revenues for the newspaper.
With Webtrends insight, UK Telegraph learned:
- 25% of the iPad readers used the app in addition to print or online versions, and returning readership grew continuously after the app launch, reaching 111,000 in just 3 months.
- High number of readers used their iPads at night for reading in bed: UK Telegraph offers a night-reading mode to enhance the experience.
- Majority of iPad users are over age of 55, giving the UK Telegraph solid data for advertisers.